‘THE BRILLIANCE OF DESIGN’ COMPETITION
Design has been at the heart of Swarovski for over the past 120 years, and our collaborations have evolved into coveted opportunities for the world’s leading creatives to express their most radical ideas through crystal.
Swarovski, in partnership with luxury design showroom MASS Beverly, is pleased to invite designers of all disciplines to take part in ‘The Brilliance of Design’ competition. The competition challenges designers to submit a design
concept that incorporates Swarovski crystal in a work that applies to one of three categories: lighting, home décor
or architectural surfaces. The distinguished jury is looking for imaginative concepts that challenge traditional design approaches and push the boundaries of crystal creativity. Applicants are encouraged to explore Swarovski’s rich design history, as well as its full assortment of crystal colors, effects and materials, to inspire new works. Additionally, Swarovski encourages the use of mixed materials and all designs should celebrate crystal and the art of crystal cutting. When integrating other materials, it is key to consider manufacturing capabilities and limitations for each material.
One winner from each category will see their design concept showcased at MASS Beverly and receive crystal sponsorship for future design projects. Winning concepts may also be produced commercially.
Applicants are encouraged to push the boundaries of what can be achieved with light and crystal through innovative interpretations of lighting designs. Lighting designs may include: chandelier, surface-mounted light (e.g. sconce), or other creative luminaries.
Applicants are encouraged to innovate home décor designs that serve a functional purpose and are both decorative and giftable. Home décor designs may include: vase, tray, candle holder or other decorative table top objects.
Surface treatments push the boundaries of crystal application within the field of high-end interiors and offer one-of-a- kind crystal applications in terms of quality, diversity and creativity. Innovative architectural surfaces can be applied to walls, tables, room dividers and flooring. These treatments offer designers the opportunity and flexibility to customize designs that juxtapose crystals with myriad materials. Architectural surface designs may include loose crystal, or a crystal motif pattern or shape integrated into a solid surface. Note that solid surfaces permitted include marble, wood, cement and metal along with carpet.
DEADLINE: April 22ND, 2019
Submit entries at: MASSDesignCompetition@Swarovski.com
Contact information, including email address and phone number
One concept proposal that includes:
Written Description outlining inspiration and practical use of design (Note that if Architectural Surface is the selected category, please include the proposed usage - e.g. table top, wall panel, screen)
Drawings, sketches, and/or 3D renderings of proposed design
Submissions to be 11 x 17 PDF at 300 DPI; no more than 10 pages
Judging Criteria + Jury
The distinguished jury is looking for imaginative concepts that challenge traditional design approaches and push the boundaries of crystal creativity. Applicants are encouraged to explore Swarovski’s rich design history, as well as its full assortment of crystal colors, effects and materials, to inspire new works. Inventiveness and functionality will also be taken into consideration during judging.
All design concepts must comprise a minimum of 50% Swarovski crystal.
One winner from each category will be selected by a jury including:
Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Executive Board, Swarovski Crystal Business
Mary Ta and Lars Hypko, Co-founders, MASS Beverly
Yves Béhar, Founder and CEO of Fuseproject and Swarovski Collaborator
Edie Cohen, Deputy Editor, Interior Design Magazine
Design proposals will be judged according to:
Innovativeness and creativity
$5,000 USD value of Swarovski crystal for future design projects
Opportunity to participate in an event at MASS Beverly around the La Cienega Design Quarter’s LEGENDS in May 2019 alongside Yves Béhar, founder and CEO of Fuseproject and Swarovski collaborator
Featured in a showcase at MASS Beverly
Posts of winning design concepts on Swarovski and MASS Beverly social media channels
Potential to produce designs commercially
Winners will be notified on or prior to May 6
Swarovski and MASS Beverly ‘The Brilliance of Design’ Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. THIS CONTEST IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY AND WILL BE GOVERNED BY U.S. LAW. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE AND LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.
1. Eligibility: The Swarovski and MASS Beverly ‘The Brilliance of Design’ Contest (the “Contest”) is open to participants who: a) are 18 years of age or older at the time of their Submission (as hereinafter defined); and b) are legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington D.C. Employees of Swarovski North America Limited and MASS Beverly, Inc. (“MASS Beverly”) and any of their parent and affiliate companies, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible to win the prize. Subject to all applicable federal, state, provincial, territorial, municipal and local laws, directives and regulations.
2. Sponsor: Swarovski North America Limited, One Kenney Drive, Cranston, Rhode Island 02920 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes participant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning the prize is contingent upon fulfilling all of the requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing for Entry: Entry for the Contest begins on February 20, 2019 at 7:00PM Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) and ends on April 23, 2019 at 11:59PM PST (the “Contest Entry Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Participate: Draw, sketch, and/or develop a three-dimensional (3D) rendering of an original, imaginative product that is comprised of at least 50% Swarovski crystal and applies to one of three product categories: lighting, home décor or architectural surfaces (each a “Product Category”) (the “Design”). Your Design must challenge traditional design approaches and push the boundaries of crystal creativity, exploring Swarovski’s rich design history, as well as its full assortment of crystal colors, effects, and materials. Your Design must use a mix of materials and designs to showcase the art of crystal cutting. To submit your Design for entry into the Contest, first, compile the following deliverable (“Submission”):
(i) your professional biography;
(ii) your contact information, including your email address and phone number;
(iii) a written description of your Design, including Product Category, inspiration, and practical use of the Design (NOTE: if the Design is an architectural surface, specify the proposed usage [i.e., table top, wall panel, screen, etc.]); and
(iv) your Design.
Your Submission must be in the following format: 11x17 PDF at 300 DPI. Your Submission must be in English and no more than ten (10) pages in length. Once your Submission is final, e-mail your Submission to MassDesignCompetition@Swarovski.com prior to the end of the Contest Entry Period. Participants must ensure that their Design and Submission comply with the Guidelines and Restrictions defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”). By submitting your Submission, participants agree that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify a participant from the Contest if Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, that a Design, or the Submission otherwise fails to conform to these Official Rules and the Guidelines and Restrictions as follows:
Designs and Submissions must not:
Contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
Disparage Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest;
Contain images, artwork, or other copyrighted material not created by participant;
Contain material that is indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, or libelous (including, without limitation, depictions of nudity, sexual activity, offensive images or language, or other lewd behavior or activities);
Contain material inappropriate for the Contest (including, without limitation, depictions of gang signs/symbols, weapons, violence, threats of violence, alcohol, drugs, or other such inappropriate behavior or activities);
Contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
Depict the use of alcohol, whether in moderation or not;
Show license plates, phone numbers, personal addresses (physical or e-mail), or other information that could be personally identifiable of any person (whether that person is the participant or not); and
Contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any country (or subpart thereof) where photo is created.
By submitting a Submission, each participant acknowledges and agrees that (i) Sponsor and MASS Beverly have no obligation to keep the Design or the contents of the Submission confidential and are free to publish or otherwise disclose the Submission on a non-confidential basis to anyone without any additional compensation to the participant, and (ii) Sponsor does do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas or designs currently or previously known, considered, developed or contemplated by Sponsor or its employees or contractors or otherwise obtained from sources other than participant.
LIMIT: One (1) entry per person. Participant must have permission from all individuals that appear in the Submission (if any) to use their name and likeness in the Submission and to grant the rights set forth herein. If requested, participant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to waive the Contest entry requirements set forth herein in its reasonable discretion or to request that any participant resubmit participant’s Submission which fails to comply with the Contest entry requirements.
6. Winner Determination: The winners of the Contest will be determined as follows:
Between April 23, 2019 and May 5, 2019, a panel of qualified judges (each, a “Judge”), including Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Swarovski Executive Board; Mary Ta and Lars Hypko, MASS Beverly Founders; Yves Behar, Founder and CEO of Fuseproject and Swarovski Collaborator; and a prominent design editor, or as otherwise determined by Sponsor, will judge the Submissions. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a judge in its sole discretion. The Judges will each score the Submissions based on the following criteria (“Selection Criteria”):
Innovativeness and creativity – 33.3%
Functionality – 33.3%
Commercial viability – 33.3%
On or about May 6, 2019, a representative of the Sponsor (the identity of whom will be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion) will add up the scores given by the Judges for each Submission by Product Category. The Submission that receives the highest score in each Product Category will be a potential winner. In the event of a tie, the tie breaker will be based upon the highest score in the first Selection Criteria (Innovativeness and creativity), continuing thereafter to each Selection Criteria in order, as needed, to break the tie. A POTENTIAL WINNER IS NOT A WINNER OF THE PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL HE/SHE SATISFIES ALL REQUIREMENTS AS SET FORTH IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
7. Winner Requirements: Each potential winner will be notified by email on or around May 8, 2019. Each potential winner will be required to sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility/Liability & Publicity Release or similar documentation (collectively, “Declaration”), which must be received by Sponsor within two (2) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim the prize. Winner may be issued an IRS 1099 Form for completion. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to execute and return the Declaration within the required time period, or does not comply with these Official Rules, then that potential winner will be disqualified and will forfeit the prize. If a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to the participant who submitted the Submission with the next highest score in the applicable Product Category. If the alternate potential winner cannot satisfy the requirements as set forth in these Official Rules and thereby become the winner, then the prize for that Product Category will remain un-awarded. Acceptance of any portion of the prize shall constitute and signify a winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor, MASS Beverly, and each of their designees may use the winner’s name, city, state, territory, province, likeness, any part or all of a winner’s Submission (including the Design), and/or prize information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising, or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission, or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Prizes won by an eligible participant who is a minor in his/her state of residence will be awarded to minor’s parent or legal guardian who must sign and return all required documents.
8. Prize: One winner from each Product Category will receive:
Five Thousand and 00/100 USD ($5,000.00 USD) in Swarovski crystals;
An opportunity to attend and/or participate in an event at MASS Beverly during La Cienega Design Quarter’s LEGENDS in May 2019 alongside Yves Behar, founder and CEO of Fuseproject and Swarovski collaborator;
A feature in a showcase at MASS Beverly;
Posts of winning Design on Swarovski and MASS Beverly select social media channels; and
The potential opportunity to produce designs commercially.
Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): Five Thousand Seven Hundred Fifity and 00/100 USD ($5,750.00 USD). Winners will not receive the difference between actual and approximate retail value. Prize is non-transferable, and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use.
Upon acceptance of any prize, the winner grants Sponsor the first right to commercially produce the Design (the “First Right Offer”), subject to the agreement of commercially reasonable terms within sixty (60) days of the parties first entering into discussions to produce the Design. In the event that participant and Sponsor cannot or do not agree to terms for the First Right Offer, within sixty (60) days, regardless of reason, the winner shall have the right to offer the Design to a third party to produce. In the event the winner receives a bona fide third party offer to produce the Design (“Third Party Offer”), the winner shall first offer to Sponsor the right to produce the Design on the same commercial terms as the Third Party Offer before accepting the Third-Party Offer. Sponsor shall have thirty (30) days during which to accept such offer. If Sponsor does not accept such offer, then the winner shall have the right to accept the Third-Party Offer. Nothing herein will require Sponsor to produce the Design or enter into an agreement to produce the Design.
9. Intellectual Property Interests: Without limiting the generality of these Official Rules, submitting a Submission as set forth herein constitutes participant’s consent to give Sponsor and MASS Beverly a royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive license for the duration of two (2) years, to use, reproduce, publish, and display participant’s Submission, in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate the same into other works, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes, except where prohibited by law.
10. Publicity: Except where prohibited by law, submitting a Submission as set forth herein, constitutes ’participant’s consent to Sponsor’s and MASS Beverly’s and its agents’ use of ’participant’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration including on a publicly available winner’s list. Sponsor has the right, but not the obligation to make use of the rights granted in Sections 9 and 10.
11. Warranties and Representations: AS CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST, EACH PARTICIPANT WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT: (a) THE PARTICIPANT OWNS ALL RIGHTS, TITLE, and INTEREST IN AND TO THE SUBMISSION PARTICIPANT IS ENTERING IN THIS CONTEST; (b) THE PARTICIPANT HAS OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM EACH PERSON WHO APPEARS IN THE SUBMISSION TO GRANT THE RIGHTS TO THE SPONSOR DESCRIBED IN THESE RULES, AND CAN MAKE WRITTEN COPIES OF SUCH PERMISSIONS AVAILABLE TO THE SPONSOR UPON REQUEST IN A FORM ACCEPTABLE TO SPONSOR; (c) THE SUBMISSION IS ORIGINAL TO THE PARTICIPANT AND HAS BEEN LEGALLY OBTAINED AND CREATED; (d) THE SUBMISSION DOES NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, PRIVACY OR PUBLICITY RIGHTS OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR MORAL RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY; AND (e) THE SUBMISSION DOES NOT VIOLATE APPLICABLE LAWS OR REGULATIONS. Participant will indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 13, below) and any licensee or assignee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms or any violation by participant of these Official Rules.
12. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend, and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds: (a) to be tampering with the entry and/or Submission processes or the operation of the Contest; (b) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion; or (c) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
13. Release: Each participant agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor and MASS Beverly and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, to the greatest extent permitted by applicable law.
14. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by participant, printing, typographical, or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (b) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (c) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (d) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the e-mailing, the processing, or judging of Submissions or votes or the tabulating of votes, the announcement of the prize or in any Contest-related materials; (e) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged, or stolen mail, electronic or otherwise; or (f) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of any Submission.
15. Disputes: To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, each participant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state and federal courts located in the State of Rhode Island; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the participant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Rhode Island without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Rhode Island.
17. Winner List: Winner list requests will only be accepted after the winners are selected (as detailed above) and no later than June 30, 2019. For the winner list, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to The Swarovski and MASS Beverly ‘The Brilliance of Design’ Contest c/o Renee Callovi, Programming Coordinator, Design and Stragetic Partnerships, Corporate Branding and Communications, Americas, Swarovki North America Limited, 10E 53rd Street, 26th Floor, New York, New York 10022.
18. Consumer Rights: Nothing in these Official Rules shall be deemed to exclude or restrict any of the winner’s or the participant’s statutory rights as a consumer.